Another healthy yet delicious gravy, Kala Chana Gravy. To prepare this you’ll need black chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and a few spices. Relish it with rice or roti.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 40 mins, Total – 45 mins.
- Kala Chana (Black Chickpeas) – 1 cup (soaked over night or 7-8 hours)
- Onion – 1 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Tomatoes – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a large pinch
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Kala Chana Gravy:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onion paste and ginger garlic paste. Saute till golden brown
- Add tomato paste, red chilli powder, chana masala powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Rinse the soaked kala chana a few times and drain the water completely. Add it to the pressure cooker along with salt and water. Mix and close the lid. Let the first whistle blow on a high flame then turn the flame to low and let it cook for 30-35 mins. Don’t worry about the whistles
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down, open the lid. Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Kala Chana Gravy is ready. Serve hot with Jeera rice, Plain rice or your favorite bread.