Healthy yet delicious, Kala Chana Gravy. To prepare this you’ll need black chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and a few spices. Relish it with rice or roti.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 7 hours 10 mins, Cooking – 50 mins, Total – 8 hours.
- Kala Chana (Black Chickpeas) – 1 cup (soaked over night or 7-8 hours)
- Onion – 1 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Tomatoes – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 2.5 cups
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Kala Chana Gravy:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute until golden brown
- Add tomato paste, red chilli powder, chana masala powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook until oil starts to separate
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked kala chana and add it to the pressure cooker along with salt and water. Mix and close the lid, let the first whistle blow on a high flame then cook for about 35 mins on a low flame
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid and add garam masala powder & coriander leaves. Mix well and your Kala Chana Gravy is ready.