Also try: Achaari Aloo.
Course: Breakfast or Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins
- Potato – 2 large (peeled and chopped in cubes) (approx 1.5 cups)
- Tomato – 2 medium-large (roughly chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (roughly chopped)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Oil or Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Aloo Tamatar Sabji:
- Take a blending jar. Add tomatoes, ginger and green chillies. Blend to a smooth paste. Keep aside
- Heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add tomato paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, chana masala powder and kasuri methi. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Add potatoes, water and salt. Mix and close the lid
- Let first whistle blow on a high flame then turn the flame to low-medium and let 2-3 more whistles blow
- Turn off the flame. Do not release the pressure
- Once pressure has settled down open the lid. Crush the potatoes a little . Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix
- Your Aloo Tamatar Sabji is ready. Serve hot with the Pooris or the Phulkas.