A simple, easy and healthy breakfast option. Besan Cheela is a Indian Savoury Pancake, the main ingredient is besan (gram flour) of course, along with some veggies and spices.
Servings: makes 4 cheelas
Time: Preparation – 25 Mins, Cooking – 15 Mins, Total – 40 Mins.
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Carom Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil for cooking the cheelas
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML
How to make Besan Cheela:
- Take a mixing bowl, add besan and 1/2 cup water. Whisk until smooth
- Add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, depending on the quality of the besan, to make a medium consistency batter
- Add onions, tomatoes, green chilis, coriander leaves, carom seeds, coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder & salt. Mix till you get a smooth consistency, let it rest for 15 mins
- Heat a non stick pan or tawa and spread a few drops of oil, pour a ladle full of batter in the centre and spread out to form a circle
- Cook till the cheela turns golden, pour a few drops of oil and flip. Similarly do the other side
- Your Besan Cheela is ready. Serve with mint-coriander chutney or ketchup.