One of my close friend told me about this recipe and I loved it. So sharing it with you guys. It’s one of the healthy options to have either in the breakfast or in the main course. I wanted to make it healthy so I added more vegetables. You can add vegetables of your choice as well. You can also add fried potatoes and peanuts which definitely makes it more tasty. I specifically used upma sooji for it as it’s more coarse which makes it better.
Also try: Vermicelli.
Course: Breakfast or Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Sooji (Rava or Semolina) – 1/2 cup (roasted)
- Onion – 1 medium (sliced)
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup (boiled)
- Green Chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups (or as required)
- Oil or Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Vegetable Upma:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter
- Add onions, capsicum, cabbage and green chillies. Cook till onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes and black pepper. Cook till tomatoes are soft
- Add water and bring it boil
- Add roasted sooji in portions and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed. Sooji will absorb water
- Add green peas and salt. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins or until water is absorbed on low flame
- Turn off the flame. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Vegetable Upma is ready.