One of my friend had shared this recipe with me, so here I am sharing it with you guys. Vegetable Upma is a healthy option for breakfast and one can also relish it in lunch or dinner. To prepare it you’ll need sooji (semolina), vegetables of your choice and a few very spices.
Variation: You can also add fried potatoes and roasted peanuts to it.
Tip: I specifically used upma sooji for it, as it’s more coarse which makes it even better.
Also try: Vermicelli.
Course: Breakfast or Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Roasted Sooji (Rava or Semolina) – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 medium (sliced)
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup (boiled)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups (or as required)
- Oil or Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Vegetable Upma:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add black mustard seeds. Let it splutter
- Add onions, capsicum, cabbage and green chillies. Cook till onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes and ground black pepper. Cook till tomatoes are soft
- Add water and bring it boil. Add roasted sooji in portions and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed. Sooji will absorb the water
- Add green peas and salt. Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 mins or until water is absorbed
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice & coriander leaves, mix well. Your Vegetable Upma is ready.