Aloo Tamatar is such a staple food in Indian homes, everyone has their own variation to it. This recipe give you the “halwai waali aloo ki sabji” or “restaurant style aloo sabji”. Relish it with puri, paratha or phulka.
Course: Breakfast or Main Course
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 25 mins.
- Boiled Potato – 4 medium
- Tomato – 3 medium (blend to a paste)
- Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Black Pepper – 6
- Clove – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 2 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1.5 cup or as needed
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Aloo Tamatar:
- Heat ghee in a kadai or a pan, add black cardamom, green cardamom, bay leaf, black pepper & cloves. Saute for a few seconds
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add ginger paste. Saute for a few seconds, until aromatic
- Add tomato paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and crushed kasuri methi. Mix and cook on medium flame until ghee starts to separate
- Crush the boiled potatoes a little and add it to the kadai along with salt and water. Mix well and bring it to boil, cook for 4-5 mins. You can add more water if desired
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix well and you Aloo tamatar is ready!!!