Bharwan Baigan or Stuffed Eggplant is a tasty yet simple dish. It is prepared by stuffing spices in the eggplant or baigan. It is a delicious side dish to enjoy along with dal, rice or phulkas. This recipe is from my Mom’s kitchen. A must try.
Also try: Stuffed Bitter Gourd.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins
- Baigain or Eggplant – 8 (small)
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Fennel Seed Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp (you can use oil as well)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
How to make Bharwan Baigan:
- Slit baigan into two or four without breaking them. Keep aside
- Take a small bowl. Add spices – coriander powder, fennel seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dry mango powder and salt. Add ghee (to moist the mix). Mix well
- Now stuff the baigan with the masala mix. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a kadai or a pan. Add stuffed baigan. Saute so that they’re all well coated with oil
- Cover and cook on low flame till baigans are soft. Keep sauteing in between
- Your Bharwan Baigan is ready. Serve Hot!!!