Sama Rice also known as Samak, Samvat or Vrat Rice is usually used to prepare meals on the day of fasting (vrat). It can be used to make dessert or pulao. This recipe is for the pudding prepared with it along with milk, sugar and a few dry fruits.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 Mins, Cooking – 35 Mins, Total – 40 Mins
- Whole Milk – 1 Litre
- Sama Rice – 3 tbsp (soaked for 10-15 mins)
- Sugar – 1/3 cup or as required
- Almonds – 6 (crushed or chopped)
- Cashews – 6 (crushed or chopped)
- Raisins – 1/8 cup (soaked for 15 mins)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Sama Rice Kheer:
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked rice and completely drain the water. Keep aside
- Heat milk in a thick bottom pan and bring it to boil. Turn the flame to low and add rice. Stir
- Cook on low flame till it thickens and rice is cooked, stir occasionally. Takes about 20-25 mins. Remember to keep scraping the dried milk from the sides of the pan and add it back to the pan
- Add almonds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix and cook for another 5-10 mins
- Turn off the flame. Add sugar and mix well. Your Sama Rice Kheer is ready. Serve hot or chilled.