Chana Dal Dry or Sukhi Chana Dal is a dry bengal gram recipe. It is prepared with whole spices and onions. Goes well with parathas.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 35 mins.
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1 Cup (soaked for 20-30 mins)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1 (finely chopped)
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Clove – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1-2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Chana Dal Dry:
- Take a pressure cooker. Add soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, water and salt. Close the lid and let the first whistle blow on a high flame, then turn the flame to medium and cook for 15 mins
- Let the pressure settle. Check if dal is cooked, if not then cook for another 5 mins (it should not be too soft)
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add black cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and clove. Saute till you get the aroma
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add ginger and green chilli. Saute for a few seconds
- Add onions. Cook till golden brown
- Add red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well
- Add cooked chana dal along with water. Mix and cook on high flame until excess water is absorbed. Do not stir too much as it’ll mash the dal
- Add garam masala powder, dry mango powder and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Chana Dal Dry is ready.