Moong Dal is a healthy and light comfort food. Recipe is easy and simple. Enjoy it with phulkas, rice or as a soup.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 25 mins.
- Moong Dal Dhuli (Split & Skinned Mung Beans) – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
- Water – 2 cups
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Moong Dal:
- Rinse moong dal 4-5 times. Add it to a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder, salt and water. Mix and close the lid
- Cook for 3-4 whistles on high flame or until cooked. Open once pressure is released. Do not mash it
- Meanwhile prepare the tadka. Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onions, green chilies and ginger. Cook till onions are golden brown
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add the tadka to cooked moong dal. Add garam masala powder and mix
- Your Moong Dal is ready. Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve.