“Loukoumades”, the delicious Greek donuts!!! These are golden & crisp on the outside and soft & fluffy on the inside, delicacy is served with honey-cinnamon drizzle and some nuts. A perfect bite-size dessert or a snack for anytime of the day.
- Drizzle honey syrup right before serving, else loukoumades will become soggy
- You can also use chocolate sauce instead of honey syrup
- Dip the spoon in oil before scooping out the batter, to avoid sticking it to the spoon. Also clean the spoon after every batch.
Servings: makes about 50 pieces.
Time: Preparation – 1 hour 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 1.5 hours.
- All-Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Dry Yeast – 1/2 sachet (or 3.5 grams)
- Luke Warm Water – 1/2 cup
- Luke Warm Whole Milk – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 1/2 tbsp + for frying
- Salt a pinch
- Honey or Maple Syrup – 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Finely Crushed or Chopped Walnuts and Pistachios as needed.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Loukoumades:
- Take a mixing bowl and add all-purpose flour, dry yeast, sugar & salt. Mix
- Add oil and mix again. Now add luke warm water and milk in portions to get a flowing consistency batter like pancake batter
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 1 to 1.5 hours until batter almost triples
- Now heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Stir the batter again, take a teaspoon dip it in oil (so that the batter doesn’t stick), scoop out the batter and carefully drop it in the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan while frying, keep flipping and pressing occasionally with a slotted spoon to fry evenly until golden brown. Drain on a kitchen paper towel, similarly do the rest
- Meanwhile add honey (or maple syrup) and cinnamon powder to a microwave safe bowl and mix, then microwave it until warm. Syrup is ready
- Place the loukoumades on a serving plate and pour the syrup, top it with walnuts and pistachios. Your Loukoumades are ready, serve immediately.