Pav Bhaji is a famous Indian fast food. It originated in Maharashtra, since then it is being enjoyed all across the country. It is a thick vegetable curry and enjoyed with pav (soft puffed bread).
I have taken potatoes, cauliflower and peas to prepare the bhaji along with onions, tomatoes and capsicum. You can also add veggies of your choice like carrots, etc.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 35 mins, Total – 50 mins
- Pav – 8 pieces
- Potato – 2 cups (roughly chopped)
- Cauliflower – 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Onion – 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 3 medium-large (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped) (optional)
- Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
- Garlic Clove – 4 (grated)
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – 3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp + to toast the pavs
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup or as needed
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves – to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Pav Bhaji:
- Add potatoes, cauliflower and peas in a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 cup water. Close the lid and cook until soft, around 10-15 mins
- Once cooked open the lid and mash the vegetables. Keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 tbsp butter
- Add ginger and garlic. Saute till fragrant
- Add onions. Saute till golden brown
- Add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala powder and red chilli powder. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Add capsicum and cook for 3-4 mins
- Add mashed vegetables, salt and 1/2 cup water (or as needed). Mix well. Cover and cook for 5-6 mins or until you get the desired thickness
- Turn off the flame. Add lemon juice, garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix. Pav Bhaji is ready
- Heat a tawa or non stick pan. Butter the pavs and toast them
- Now take desired amount of bhaji on a serving plate, add a dollop of butter and top it with some chopped onions. Serve with toasted pav’s and lemon wedges on the side.