Pav Bhaji is a very famous Indian fast food. It is a thick vegetable curry enjoyed with pav (soft puffed bread). You’ll need potatoes, cauliflower, peas and capsicum to prepare the bhaji along with some onions and tomatoes.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 35 mins, Total – 50 mins.
- Potato – 2 cups (peeled and roughly chopped)
- Cauliflower – 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Onion – 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 4 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (crushed)
- Garlic Clove – 4 (crushed)
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder – 4 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Butter – 4 tbsp + to toast the pavs
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1.5 cup
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Pav as needed
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Pav Bhaji:
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, peas and 3/4 cup water in a pressure cooker. Cook on high flame for 4-5 whistles, let the pressure settle down and open the lid. Now nicely mash the vegetables, keep aside
- Heat oil and 3 tbsp butter in a pan or a kadai, add ginger and garlic. Saute until fragrant
- Add onions and saute until light golden brown
- Add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala powder and red chilli powder. Mix and cook until butter starts to separate
- Add capsicum and cook for another 2-3 mins
- Add mashed vegetables, salt and 3/4 cup water (or as needed). Mix well and cook for about 10 mins on medium flame, also mash the bhaji a little more at this stage to get the smooth texture
- Turn off the flame and add lemon juice, coriander leaves and 1 tbsp butter. Mix well and your Bhaji is ready
- Now heat a tawa or a pan and toast the pavs
- Serve bhaji with toasted pav, chopped onions and a lemon wedge, your Pav Bhaji is ready. You can also serve some sliced tomatoes and cucumber with it.