Moong Dal Kadhi is being prepared in my family from ages. It is a little bit similar to Besan Kadhi in the preparation, though tastes different.
Tip: For the ease of preparation and to get the perfect sour taste, I prefer Amul Masti Buttermilk. You can also use homemade buttermilk or even sour curd. If you’re using sour curd then ratio would be 1 cup of sour curd + 4.5 to 5 cups of water.
Also try: Punjabi Kadhi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 Mins, Cooking – 40 Mins, Total – 55 mins
- Moong Dal – 1/2 cup (soaked for 4 to 5 hours)
- Amul Masti Butter Milk – 1 litre
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (grated) (optional)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Yellow Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Oil – for deep-frying the pakoras + 2 tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML
How to make Moong Dal Kadhi:
- Take a grinding jar. Add soaked moong dal, cumin seeds and ginger (optional)
- Grind to make a smooth paste. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if required for grinding
- Take a mixing bowl and transfer the ground paste
- Now beat the batter with a spoon or a whisk in one direction to make it fluffy, around 2-3 mins
- Now divide the batter in two equal portions – one for pakoras and one for kadhi
- Take big mixing bowl, add one portion of the ground paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. Mix
- Now start adding buttermilk in portions, so that no lumps are formed. Add complete 1 litre of the buttermilk and 1 cup water. Mix well and keep aside the kadhi mix
- Heat oil in a kadai or a pan. Add mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add kadhi mix to the kadai. Turn the flame to high and stir continuously till it comes to boil. It is important to stir
- After the kadhi comes to boil, turn the flame to low and cook for 20 mins. Stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile take another mixing bowl and add the remaining portion of the ground paste. Add salt and mix well
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai. Once the oil is hot, drop the batter in oil with the help of a spoon
- Fry from all the sides till light golden. Drain on a kitchen paper towel. Similarly fry rest of the pakoras. Keep aside
- Once kadhi is cooked for 20 mins, add pakoras and cook for another 10 mins on low flame.
- Add garam masala powder and mix. Kadhi is ready. Turn off the flame
- For tempering, heat ghee in a ladle or a small pan on low flame. Add coriander seeds and let it splutter, then add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and stir a little. Immediately pour it on the kadhi and mix a little
- Your Moong Dal Kadhi is ready. Enjoy with Jeera Rice or phulkas.