A very simple and quick recipe to cook karela (bitter gourd). Karela fry can be relished with phuklas, parathas or daal-chawal. To prepare it you’ll need bitter gourd, onions, raw mango and a few spices.
Salt Tip: To reduce the bitterness from the bitter gourd we soak it in salt. Even after rinsing off thoroughly some salt is left in it, so add a very little salt while cooking.
Also Try: Stuffed Bitter Gourd
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Soaking – 2 hours, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 2.5 hours
- Karela (Bitter Gourd) – 2 large
- Onions – 2 large (julienned)
- Raw Mango – 1/2 cup (grated)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Fennel Seed Powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 4-5 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
How to make Karela Fry:
- Wash and rinse the karela. Pat dry. Chop off the tails and then cut length-wise. Remove the seeds and chop
- Add 2 tsp salt and coat the chopped karela in it. Keep aside for 2 hours. This step will help in reducing the bitterness from the karela
- Now rinse them thoroughly and squeeze the excess water. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for 2-3 mins
- Add chopped karela and mix. Cover and cook on medium flame for 10 mins. Saute occasionally
- Add fennel seed powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt (if required add a very little bit as karela already has it due to initial soaking in the salt). Mix and cover. Cook till karela is soft
- Add grated raw mango and mix. Cook 4-5 mins
- Add garam masala powder and mix. Your Karela Fry is ready!!!