Spinach Oats Cheelas have become my new favorite. They have goodness of oats and spinach, which makes them super healthy. Also they are super easy to make. You’ll need spinach, oats, ginger, green chillies and a few spices.
I had stuffed them with some grated paneer (Indian cottage cheese) to have a little protein kick as well. And it is totally optional.
Course: Breakfast or Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 30 mins, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 45 mins
Servings: makes around 7-8 cheelas
- Spinach – 1.5 cups (tightly packed)
- Ground Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – 1 cup (grated) (optional)
- Ginger – 1 inch (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (roughly chopped)
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1 1/4 cup
- Oil – to cook cheelas
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Spinach Oats Cheela:
- Take washed and rinsed spinach. Add it to a blending jar along with 1/4 cup of water, ginger and green chillies. Blend to a smooth puree
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add ground oats, 1 cup water, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, black pepper and salt. Mix with a spoon or a whisk and make a smooth consistency batter. Let it rest for 20 mins
- Now mix again and check the consistency of the batter, if it’s too thick then add water as required. I did not add any more water
- Heat a non-stick pan. Spread a few drops of oil
- Stir batter nicely and pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread out to form a thin circle. Cook till it’s crispy
- Pour a few drops of oil and flip. Cook in the similar way
- Your Spinach Oats Cheela is ready. Stuff it with some grated paneer and serve hot with ketchup or your favorite chutney.