Moong Dal Cheelas are one of the most popular street food from the Northern side of India. It is made with Moong Dal Dhuli (Split & Skinned Mung Beans). It is healthy and super tasty. Recipe is quite easy. Serve it with your favorite chutney.
Course: Breakfast or Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Soaking – 4 hours, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 4.5 hours
- Moong Dal Dhuli (Split & Skinned Mung Beans) – 1 cup (soak for 4-5 hours or overnight
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
- Coriander Leaves – about 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Water – 1 cup or as required
- Oil – for shallow frying the cheelas
- Salt as required
- Chutney – of your choice (green chutney, restaurant style chutney or tamarind chutney).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Moong Dal Cheelas:
- Rinse soaked dal in water thoroughly. Discard the water completely. Add the dal to a grinder and 1/2 cup of water
- Grind to make a smooth and soft mixture. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water as required. The batter should not be too thick or too thin. So add water accordingly. Batter should be of medium consistency
- Transfer it to a bowl and add onions, green chili, ginger, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well with a spoon or a whisk. Keep aside the batter to rest for 15-20 mins
- Heat a non-stick pan. Spread a few drops of oil
- Pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread out to form a thin circle. Cook till it’s crisp and light golden brown
- Pour a few drops of oil again and flip. Cook similarly
- Remove from the heat and your Moong Dal Cheela is ready
- Serve hot with ketchup or your favorite chutney.