Moong Dal Cheela is one of the most popular Indian street food. It is nutritious, delicious and quite easy to make. It is prepared with Moong Dal (mung bean) and a few spices, relish it with some green chutney or your favorite dip. Please read tips for variations and serving suggestions.
- You can go for whole, split or skinned mung bean for this recipe, it’s going to be equally tasty
- If you’re using skinned mung bean then add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder to get rich yellow color
- If you’re using whole mung bean then add 1/4 cup coriander leaves to get nice green color
- You enjoy these cheelas as is or with your favorite dip or chutney, or you can stuff it with some crumbled paneer and chopped tomato, onion & cilantro
- You can also try these in waffle form, just pour the batter on your waffle maker and make some tasty savory waffles. Image in the end for your reference.
Course: Breakfast, Snacks or Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 25 mins, Soaking – 5 hours, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 5 hours 40 mins.
Servings: makes 4-5 cheelas.
- Moong Dal (Whole, Split or Skinned Mung Bean) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 5 hours or overnight)
- Finely Chopped or Grated Onion – 1/4 cup
- Finely Chopped Green Chili – 1
- Grated Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup (roughly chopped) + 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Oil or Ghee to cook cheelas
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Moong Dal Cheela:
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked dal and discard the water completely. Add it to a grinding jar along with 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup coriander leaves, grind to make a fine paste
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl and add onions, green chili, ginger, coriander leaves, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder & salt. Mix and add 1/2 cup water in portions to make a medium flowing consistency batter, let it rest for 15 mins
- Heat a non stick pan or tawa and spread some ghee or oil, pour a ladle full of batter in the centre and spread out to form a circle
- Cook until cheela turns golden brown, spread some ghee or oil again and flip. Similarly do the other side, your Moong Dal Cheela is ready, serve with green chutney