A healthy and a super delicious breakfast option for you, can also be enjoyed as a snack. Moong Dal Cheela is always relished by everyone as it’s soft and full of flavors. By adding oats to it we make it even more healthier. Cook cheelas in as little oil as possible.
Batter is prepared with moong dal dhuli (split & skinned mung beans), ground oats, onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and a few spices.
Course: Breakfast or Snacks
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 40 mins, Soaking – 4 hours, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 5 hours
Servings: makes 7-8 cheelas
- Moong Dal Dhuli (Split & Skinned Mung Beans) – 1/2 cup (soak for 4-5 hours or overnight
- Ground Oats – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1 or 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 1/4 cups or as required
- Coriander Leaves – about 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil – for shallow frying the cheelas
- Salt as required
- Chutney – to serve along (recipe here)
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Oats Moong Dal Cheela:
- Rinse soaked dal in water thoroughly. Discard the water completely. Take a grinding jar, add rinsed dal and 1/4 cup of water. Grind to make a smooth paste
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add ground oats, onions, green chili, ginger, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix with a spoon or a whisk
- Add 1 cup water and mix well . Keep aside the batter to rest for 20 mins
- Heat a non-stick pan. Spread a few drops of oil
- Stir batter nicely and pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread out to form a thin circle. Cook till it’s light golden brown
- Pour a few drops of oil again and flip. Cook in the similar way
- Your Oats Moong Dal Cheela is ready. Serve hot with ketchup or your favorite chutney.