This recipe is for easy homemade pizza sauce. It is flavorful and perfect for your homemade pizzas. To make the sauce we need roma or plum tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and a few spices. I did not add any sugar to it, if you like then add 1 tsp of sugar while cooking.
Storage Tip: You can store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate for upto a week and can even deep freeze for over a month.
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 40 mins, Total – 45 mins
Servings: makes around 1 cup, enough for two 12 inch pizzas.
- Plum or Roma Tomato – 5
- Onions – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Fresh Basil – 2 tbsp (chopped, or 1 tsp of dried if fresh is not available)
- Dried Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Water to cook tomatoes
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML
How to make Pizza Sauce:
- Take tomatoes and slit at the bottom without breaking, this will help in removing the tomato skin easily. Keep aside (image below)
- Boil enough water in a pot to cook the tomatoes. Once the water is boiling, place the tomatoes in the water for about a minute
- Remove the tomatoes and place them into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skin and discard
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan or a skillet. Add onion and saute for 3-4 mins on medium flame
- Add garlic and saute for a minute
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, red chilli flakes, ground black pepper and salt. Saute
- Turn the flame to low and cook for about 30 mins. Stirring occasionally
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down
- Transfer it to a blender and blend it to a smoother texture. Your Pizza Sauce is ready.