A super healthy and quick-fix meal option. You’ll need Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils), Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram Lentils), Rice and spices. It tastes best when topped with a dollop of ghee (clarified butter).
Also Try: Dalia Khichdi or Palak Khichdi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 Mins, Cooking – 20, Total – 40 Mins.
- Split Black Lentils (Split Urad Dal) – 1/4 cup
- Split Bengal Gram (Split Chana Dal) – 1/4 cup
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Clove – 2
- Black Peppercorns – 5
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Water – 3.5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Urad Chana Dal Khichdi:
- Soak dal and rice for 20 mins. Then rinse thoroughly and keep aside
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cloves and black peppercorns. Saute for a few seconds
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add ginger and green chillies. Saute till aromatic
- Add rinsed dal and rice along with the spices and water. Mix well
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on high flame. Then turn the flame to low-medium and cook for another 5-6 whistles. Turn off the flame and let the pressure settle down. Open the lid and check if it’s completely cooked else cook for another 1-2 whistles, also add a little water if cooking again
- Your Urad Chana Dal Khichdi is ready. Relish with some ghee, pickle or curd.
This is a favorite 😍♥️
LikeLiked by 1 person
Same here 🙂 thank you ❤️