A flavorful quick-fix meal, Dalia Khichdi it is!!! To prepare it you’ll need dalia (broken wheat), moong dal dhuli (split & skinned mung beans) and rice. A bit of veggies and spices.
Variation: You can also add brown rice. Take 1/4 cup of dal, white rice, brown rice and dalia.
Also try: Moong Dal
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 Mins, Cooking – 20, Total – 30 Mins
- Moong Dal Dhuli (Split & Skinned Mung Beans) – 1/3 cup
- Roasted Dalia (Broken Wheat) – 1/3 cup
- Rice – 1/3 cup
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Peppercorn – 6-8
- Clove – 2
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 3 tsp (you can also use oil)
- Water – 3.5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to Make Dalia Khichdi:
- Take a bowl. Add dalia, moong dal and rice. Add water and soak it for 15 mins
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add peppercorns and cloves. Saute for a few seconds
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onions, ginger and green chilli. Saute till onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Cook till oil starts to separate
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked dalia, dal and rice. Add it to the pressure cooker
- Add salt and water. Mix and close the lid. Cook on high flame for 7-8 whistles
- Turn off the flame and once the pressure settles down open the lid. Stir a little
- Your Dalia Khichdi is ready. Top it with some ghee and serve hot with curd or your favorite pickle.