Khichdi sounds boring!!! If spices are added to it, then it becomes delicious. And if spinach is added to it, then it is healthy too. You’ll need spinach, arhar dal (pigeon pea), rice and spices. You can also use moong dal instead of arhar dal.
Also try: Dalia Khichdi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 Mins, Cooking – 20, Total – 35 Mins
- Arhar Dal (Toor Dal or Pigeon Pea) – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Spinach – 150 grams
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – 5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 cup = 250 ML.
How to make Palak Khichdi:
- Take a bowl. Add arhar dal and rice. Rinse and soak it for 10 mins
- Drain the water. Add it to a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder and salt. Add 2.5 cups of water. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles on medium flame. Once pressure has settled down check if it’s cooked, else cook for another 1-2 whistles
- Meanwhile bring 2.5 cups of water to boil in a vessel. Turn off the flame and add spinach. Cover and keep aside for 5 mins. Now strain it through a sieve. Once it has cool down. Grind it to a fine paste. Keep aside
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add chopped onions, ginger and green chilli. Saute till onions are light brown
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt (add accordingly as you have added salt while cooking the dal and rice). Cook till oil starts to separate
- Add cooked dal-rice, spinach paste and garam masala powder. Mix and cook for 3-4 mins on medium flame
- Your Palak Khichdi is ready. Top it with some ghee and serve.