A healthy and flavorful khichdi recipe. You’ll need spinach, arhar dal (pigeon pea), rice and spices to prepare it.
Also try: Dalia Khichdi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 Mins, Cooking – 30, Total – 50 Mins.
- Arhar Dal (Pigeon Pea) – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Spinach – 150 grams
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2.5 – 3 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 cup = 250 ML.
How to make Palak Khichdi:
- Soak dal and rice for 20 mins, then rinse thoroughly and add to a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, salt and 2.5 cups of water. Mix and close the lid, cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium-high flame. Once pressure has settled down check if cooked, else cook for another 1-2 whistles
- Meanwhile blanch the spinach and blend to a smooth paste. Keep aside
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida, let it splutter
- Add onions, ginger and green chilli. Saute until onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Cook until ghee starts to separate
- Add spinach paste and cook for a min. Add cooked dal & rice and garam masala powder, mix and cook for about 2-3 mins. At this stage add water if needed to get the desired consistency, also adjust salt as per taste. Your Palak Khichdi is ready, top it with ghee & red chilli powder tempering while serving.