A healthy and flavorful khichdi recipe. You’ll need spinach, arhar dal (pigeon pea), rice and spices.
Also try: Dalia Khichdi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 Mins, Cooking – 30, Total – 50 Mins.
- Arhar Dal (Pigeon Pea) – 1/2 cup
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Spinach – 150 grams
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 2 (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Water – 5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 cup = 250 ML.
How to make Palak Khichdi:
- Soak dal and rice for 20 mins, then rinse thoroughly and add to a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, salt and 2.5 cups of water. Mix and close the lid, cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium flame. Once pressure has settled down check if cooked, else cook for another 1-2 whistles
- Meanwhile bring 2.5 cups of water to boil in a saucepan, turn off the flame and add spinach. Cover and keep aside for 5 mins. Now strain it through a sieve and once it cools down grind it to a paste. Keep aside
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add onions, ginger and green chili. Saute until onions are translucent
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt (add accordingly as you have added salt while cooking the dal and rice). Cook till ghee separates
- Add cooked dal & rice, spinach paste and garam masala powder. Mix and cook for about 4 mins, your Palak Khichdi is ready. Top it with some ghee and serve.