So baked this eggless Black Forest Cake for husband’s birthday this year and to my surprise the cake tasted good, lol!!! Please follow the detailed recipe below for this flavorful and gorgeous looking cake.
Cuisine: Global Cuisine
Time: Cake Preparation – 20 mins, Baking – 30 mins, Frosting – 10 mins, Assembly – 10 mins, Total – 1 hour 10 mins.
Servings: makes one 6 inch round cake.
- All-purpose Flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cup
- Curd (Yogurt) – 1 cup
- Oil – 3/4 cup
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Whole Milk – 1/2 cup
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
For the Frosting
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 2 cups
- Powdered Sugar – 1/4 cup
For the Topping
- Chocolate Shavings – 1 chocolate bar to make the shaving (or store-bought)
- Chopped Cherries – 1/2 cup
- Cherry Jam – 100 grams
- Whole cherries as needed.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Black Forest Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 360 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Grease two 6 inch round pans with oil then line with parchment paper and grease again, keep aside
- Take a small mixing bowl, add milk and vinegar. Mix and keep aside
- In a mixing bowl sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well keep aside
- In another mixing bowl, add oil and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy
- Add vanilla extract and curd. Mix well
- Now add flour mixture to the wet ingredients in portions, alternating it with the milk-vinegar mixture. Starting and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until combined well, don’t over do it
- Divide and pour the batter into the cake pans, bake at 360 F for about 30-35 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Your sponges are ready, let them cool down completely
- Once it’s cool then trim the top to level it, keep aside
- While the sponges are cooling. Take a big mixing bowl and add heavy whipping cream, beat with a big whisk until it starts to thicken. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until it gets a stiff peak. You can also do the same with an electric beater
- Frosting is ready, keep aside or in the refrigerator if there’s time in the assembly
- Take the chocolate bar and using a peeler make chocolate shavings
- Chocolate Shavings are ready, keep aside or in the refrigerator if there’s time in the assembly
- Take a sponge and place it on a flat plate or a cake stand, generously spread the cream frosting, spread a good amount of cherry jam and sprinkle the chopped cherries
- Now place the other sponge and spread the cream frosting evenly on the top and the sides with an offset spatula, top it with chocolate shavings and finally place the whole cherries
- Refrigerate the cake for at least two hours to settle down properly. Your Black Forest Cake is ready, it’ll remain fresh and good for 2 days under refrigeration.