Baked this lovely cake a few days ago for the first time and quite happy with the result. It tasted perfect and texture was beautiful too, blueberry compote was definitely the star ingredient. Below tips are from my experience I gained while baking this cake and sharing the same with you.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature before you start, so keep them out of the refrigerator at least 1 hour before
- Made blueberry compote in advance to save time, you can do the same. Follow recipe for Blackberry Compote, just replace blackberries with blueberries. Also make it 3 times the quantity mentioned
- You can replace butter with oil, if you don’t like the buttery flavor. As once the cake has cool down or refrigerated, the butter flavor is prominent
- Yogurt can be substituted for milk
- You can also use two 6 inch round pans. In this case you don’t need to trouble yourself with splitting the cake in half later on, simply stack them up while spreading the frosting and compote in between
- You can use frozen blueberries as well
- If after adding eggs or milk (or yogurt) you see it has started to curdle then immediately start adding flour in portions. It’ll prevent the mix from further curdling and cake will be saved
- Before whipping the cream ensure its chilled and also chill the bowl (in which you’ll beat the cream)
- Leftover frosting and compote can be used on other goodies like muffins, breads, etc
- You can serve the cake chilled or keep it outside at least an hour before serving.
Course: Breakfast or Dessert.
Cuisine: Global Cuisine.
Time: Preparation – 35 mins, Baking – 35 mins, Assembling – 10 mins Total – 1 hour 20 mins.
Servings: makes one 8 or 9 inch round cake.
- Blueberry Compote – Follow recipe here, just make it 3 times the mentioned quantity
- Fresh Blueberries – 1 cup
- All-Purpose Flour – 1.5 cups + 1 tsp
- Softened Butter (or Oil) – 1/2 cup
- Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Large Eggs – 2
- Whole Milk (or Yogurt) – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Heavy Whipping Cream – 2 cups
- Salt – 1/4 tsp (if using salted butter then skip it).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Blueberry Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 8 or 9 inch round pan (or two 6 inch round pans) with parchment paper then grease it with oil and dust it with some flour. Keep aside
- Take a mixing bowl and sift flour, baking powder & salt (skip if you’re using salted butter). Mix and keep aside
- Add blueberries in a bowl and dust well with 1 tsp flour. Keep aside
- In a large mixing bowl add butter (or oil) along with granulated sugar, beat until fluffy. Don’t over do it
- Add the eggs and beat until combined well
- Add milk (or yogurt) and 1 tsp vanilla extract, beat until smooth
- Now switch to a big spoon and stir the flour mix in portions. Mix nicely until no flour is visible
- Gently mix the dusted blueberries
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and spread evenly. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let the cake cool down in the pan for 5-10 minutes. You can even loosen up the edges with a butter knife if needed
- Now invert the cake on a cooling rack to cool down further
- Meanwhile take a big mixing bowl and add whipping cream, beat with a big whisk until it starts to thicken. Slowly add powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract, beat until it gets a stiff peak. You can also do the same with an electric beater. Frosting is ready
- Once cake has completely cooled down, split it into two layers with help of a serrated knife or thin-bladed knife with a gentle sawing motion. If you used two 6 inch pans then you can skip this step. You can also trim the cake top if needed to create a flat surface
- Place the bottom layer on a flat plate or a platter and spread some compote & frosting. Place the other layer upside down and press lightly. Spread frosting evenly on the top and sides with an offset spatula, finally top it with blueberry compote. Refrigerate the cake for an hour to settle down. Your Blueberry Cake is ready, it’ll remain fresh and good for 3-4 days under refrigeration.