A perfect summer dessert, Pineapple Cake!!! This upside down cake has the fresh pineapple in it and the flavors of lemon & cinnamon makes it amazingly appetising. The cake looks gorgeous because of fresh cut pineapple on the top along with the brown sugar sauce. A simple yet tasty recipe, a must try recipe for this summer.
Course: Breakfast or Dessert.
Cuisine: Global Cuisine.
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Baking – 35 mins, Total – 50 mins
Servings: makes one 9 inch round cake.
- All-Purpose Flour – 1.5 cups
- Fresh Pineapple – 1 cup (cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges)
- Butter – 3/4 cup (softened)
- Granulated Sugar – 1 cup (or 3/4 cup if pineapple is too sweet)
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Lemon Zest – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
- Eggs – 2 (large)
- Greek Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp (if using salted butter then skip it).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Upside Down Pineapple Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or 180 degrees celsius
- Spread 1/4 cup butter at the bottom of the cake pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar evenly over the butter. Now arrange the pineapple wedges in one even layer over it. Keep aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the remaining 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy, about 3 mins
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat until smooth. Add baking powder and salt, mix
- Now switch to a big spoon and stir the flour in portions to the wet ingredients. Stir nicely so that no flour is visible
- Pour the batter over the pineapple in the cake pan and spread evenly. Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let the cake cool down in the pan for 5-10 minutes. You can even loosen up the edges with a butter knife if needed
- Now invert the cake on a serving plate to cool down. If some pineapple slices stick to the pan, transfer them back on top of the cake and spread some of that brown sugar syrup over it
- Serve warm. You can even refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Enjoy!!!