These days I am on a baking spree. Recently I tried this healthy carrot cake and it turned out to be perfectly moist and tasty. To make this cake we mix grated carrot into the flour mix along with some nuts. It is loaded with walnuts and raisins; I have added 1/2 cup of each, you can even add 1/4 cup of each if desired. A must try recipe.
Course: Breakfast or Dessert
Cuisine: Global Cuisine
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Baking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins
Servings: makes one 9 inch round or 8X8 square cake
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 3/4 cups + 1 tsp for tossing the raisins
- Carrot – 2 cups (peeled and grated)
- Eggs – 2 (large)
- Honey or Maple Syrup – 1/2 cup
- Olive Oil – 1/3 cup (you can use coconut oil as well)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup
- Raisins – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
To make it egg less: 1 egg = 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. Let it rest for 5 mins before adding.
How to make Healthy Carrot Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or 180 degrees celsius
- Grease a 9 inch round or 8 x 8 inch square cake pan. Keep aside
- Take a large mixing bowl. Add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix them with a whisk. Keep aside the flour mix
- In a small bowl, toss the raisins with the remaining 1 teaspoon flour. This helps prevent raisins sticking together. Keep aside
- In another bowl, add oil and honey (or maple syrup). Beat them up together with a whisk
- Add eggs and beat very well
- Add milk and vanilla extract. Whisk again
- If you’re using coconut oil and it solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, warm it up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave
- Add grated carrots to the flour mix. Mix well
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a big spoon, until combined
- Gently fold the chopped walnuts and floured raisins. Stir to combine
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then take it out and let it cool down for another 10-15 mins
- Your Carrot Cake is ready. It’ll remain good for 5 days under refrigeration and 2 days on the shelf.