Rajma Masala is a popular Punjabi recipe. Commonly known dish is Rajma-Chawal, which is flavorful Rajma Masala served with Jeera Rice or plain rice. It is prepared with kidney beans cooked in onion and tomato based gravy.
Also try: Punjabi Kadhi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 Mins, Cooking – 60 Mins, Total – 1 hour 10 Mins.
- Rajma (Kidney Beans) – 1 cup (soaked overnight or 7-8 hours)
- Onion – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Tomatoes – 3 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2-3 (blend along with tomatoes)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 3 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf (Tej Patta) – 2
- Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi) – 2
- Oil – 4-5 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Rajma Masala:
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Add bay leaf and black cardamom. Saute till aromatic
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add ginger-garlic paste and onion paste. Saute till golden brown
- Add tomato-green chilli paste, coriander powder and red chilli powder. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Thoroughly rinse the rajma and drain the water. Add it to the pressure cooked along with salt and water. Stir well and close the lid. Let the first whistle blow on a high flame, then turn the flame to low and cook for 55-60 mins (don’t worry on the whistles)
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure has settle down, open the pressure cooker. Add dry mango powder, garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Rajma Masala is ready. Serve hot with rice.