Rajma Masala is a popular Punjabi recipe. Commonly known dish is Rajma-Chawal, which is flavorful Rajma Masala served with Jeera Rice or plain rice. It is prepared with kidney beans cooked in onion and tomato based gravy.
Also try: Punjabi Kadhi.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 Mins, Soaking – 7 hours, Cooking – 1 hour, Total – 8 hour 10 Mins.
- Rajma (Kidney Beans) – 1 cup (soaked overnight or 7-8 hours)
- Onion – 1 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Tomatoes – 3 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (blend along with tomatoes)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a large pinch
- Coriander Powder – 3 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Water – 3.5 cups or as needed
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Rajma Masala:
- Heat oil in pressure cooker and add bay leaf & black cardamom, saute until aromatic
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida, let it splutter
- Add ginger-garlic paste and onion paste. Saute until golden brown
- Add tomato-green chilli paste, coriander powder and kashmiri red chilli powder. Saute until oil separates
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked rajma and add it to the pressure cooker, also add salt and water. Stir well and close the lid, cook on high flame for first whistle then cook on low flame for 50 mins
- Turn off the flame and let the pressure settle down. Open the lid and add dry mango powder, garam masala powder & coriander leaves. Mix well and even mash a few rajma to get a rich thick gravy. If you find your gravy too thick, you can even add 1/2 to 1 cup hot water at this stage
- Your Rajma Masala is ready. Serve hot with rice.