Jeera Aloo is a comfort food in our family. Be it rice, phulkas or dal, you can enjoy Jeera Aloo with anything. It is basically boiled potatoes cooked with cumin seeds and a few spices. An easy and quick recipe.
Also try: Mix Vegetable Dry.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 Mins, Cooking – 15 Mins, Total – 20 Mins.
- Boiled Potatoes – 4 large (peeled and chopped into cubes)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1.5 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a large pinch
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (Kashmiri Mirch is preferred for the color)
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Dry Mango Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp (you can use ghee as well)
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
How to make Jeera Aloo:
- Heat oil in a kadai or a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Turn the flame to low (prevents masala from burning up) and add the spices – coriander powder, red chilli powder and chana masala powder. Saute for 3-4 seconds and immediately add the potatoes. Mix
- Add salt and cook for about 10 mins on medium flame. Saute occasionally
- Add dry mango powder and garam masala powder. Mix and cook for 1-2 mins
- Turn off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves. Mix
- Your Jeera Aloo is ready to serve. Enjoy it with Phulka, Paratha or Puri!!!