Dal Tadka is one of the most common dal prepared at home or served at restaurants. It is a comfort food and can be enjoyed with rice or phulkas. Recipe is quite easy and simple.
To prepare it you’ll need pigeon pea, onions, tomatoes and a few spices.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 30 mins
- Arhar Dal (Toor Dal or Pigeon Pea) – 1/2 cup (soak for 20 mins)
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Whole Dry Red Chili – 2 (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1.5 -2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Dal Tadka:
- Rinse dal 4-5 times and add it to a pressure cooker. Add turmeric powder, salt and 1.5 cup water
- Mix and close the lid. Keep it on a high flame
- Let first whistle blow on high flame. Then turn the flame to medium and cook for 2-3 whistles
- Once pressure settles down open the lid and check if dal is soft else cook for another 1-2 whistles
- While dal is cooking heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onions and green chilli. Saute till onions are golden brown
- Add tomato paste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook till ghee starts to separate
- Once tadka is ready, mix it to the cooked dal. Add water if dal is thick
- Add garam masala and cook for a minute or two
- Add coriander leaves and mix
- Transfer the dal to a serving bowl as we need to do tempering before serving
- For tempering, heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a ladle or a small pan on low flame
- Add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and whole dry red chilies
- Stir and immediately pour it on the dal
- Your Dal Tadka is ready. Serve hot with rice or your favorite bread.