Dal Tadka is one of the most common dal recipe from Indian cuisine. It is a comfort food and can be enjoyed with rice or phulkas. To prepare it you’ll need pigeon pea, onions, tomatoes and a few spices.
Also Try: Chana Dal or Masoor Dal.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 45 mins.
- Arhar Dal (Pigeon Pea) – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 small (finely chopped)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a large pinch
- Dried Red Chili – 1
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Dal Tadka:
- Soak dal for 15 mins, then thoroughly rinse it and add to a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, salt and water. Mix and close the lid, cook on medium flame for 4-5 whistles. Turn off the flame and once the pressure settles down open the lid and check if dal is cooked else cook for another 1-2 whistles. Keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and asafoetida, let it splutter
- Add onion and green chili, saute until light golden brown
- Add tomato, 1/4 tsp red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix and saute until ghee separates. Add garam masala powder and mix, tadka is ready
- Add tadka to the cooked dal, also add coriander leaves and give it a nice stir. Transfer it to a serving bowl
- Add 1 tsp ghee in a ladle or a pan. Add dried red chili and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, let it splutter. Add 1/4 tsp red chili powder and stir, now pour the tempering on the dal. Your Dal Tadka is ready.