Chana Dal is a healthy and delicious dish. It is super easy to prepare and goes perfect with rice or phulkas. To prepare it you’ll need chana dal (split bengal gram), onions, tomatoes and spices.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 35 mins
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 20-30 mins)
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tbsp (you can use oil as well)
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida
- Add onions. Cook till golden brown
- Add tomato paste, green chilli and spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder
- Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add chana dal, salt and water. Mix
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on a high flame. Turn the flame to low-medium and cook for 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure
- Once pressure settles down. Open it (incase dal is not cooked you can pressure cook it again for another 2-3 whistles)
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix
- Your Chana Dal is ready. Serve hot with phulkas or rice.