Chana Dal is a healthy and delicious main course dish. It is super easy to prepare and goes perfect with rice or phulkas. To prepare it you’ll need chana dal (split bengal gram), onions, tomatoes and spices.
Also try: Langar Waali Dal or Kaali Masoor Dal.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 45 mins.
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1/2 cup (soak for 20 mins)
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a large pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida, let it splutter
- Add onions and green chilli, saute until light golden brown
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add chana dal, salt and water. Mix and close the lid. Let the first whistle blow on a high flame then turn the flame to low-medium and cook for another 15-20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure, once it settles down open it and add garam masala powder & coriander leaves. Mix and your Chana Dal is ready.