Chana Dal is a healthy and delicious main course dish. It is super easy to prepare and goes perfect with rice or phulkas. To prepare it you’ll need chana dal (split bengal gram), onions, tomatoes and spices.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 35 mins.
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 20-30 mins)
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp (you can use oil as well)
- Water – 2 cups
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida, let it splutter
- Add onions. Cook till golden brown
- Add tomato paste, green chilli, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add chana dal, salt and water. Mix and close the lid. Let the first whistle blow on a high flame then turn the flame to low-medium and cook for another 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure
- Once pressure settles down, open it (incase dal is not cooked you can pressure cook it again for another 2-3 whistles). Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Chana Dal is ready. Serve hot with phulkas or rice.