Lauki Chana Dal or Ghiya Chana Dal is a nutritious dish. It has vegetables and lenthil, what more can you ask for!!! It goes perfectly well with hot phulkas or parathas. To make this curry you’ll need split bengal gram, lauki (bottle gourd), onions, tomatoes and a few spices.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 40 mins
- Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 20-30 mins)
- Lauki (Ghiya or Bottle Gourd) – 1 medium (peeled and cut into cubes, it’ll be around 3 cups)
- Onion – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – one large pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder – 1/3 tsp
- Chana Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp (you can use oil as well)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Lauki Chana Dal:
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida
- Add onions. Cook till golden brown
- Add tomato paste, green chilli and spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add soaked chana dal, lauki, salt and water. Mix
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on a high flame
- Turn the flame to low-medium and cook for 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure
- Once pressure settles down. Open it and mix well to get the mushy look. (incase dal is not cooked you can pressure cook it again for another 2-3 whistles)
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix
- Your Lauki Chana Dal is ready. Serve hot.