Lauki Chana Dal is a super nutritious recipe. It has vegetables and lentils which makes it packed with fibre and protein, what more can you ask for… It goes perfectly well with hot phulkas or parathas. To make this curry you’ll need split bengal gram, lauki (bottle gourd), onions, tomatoes and a few spices.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Total – 45 mins
- Split Bengal Gram – 1/2 cup (soaked for 15 mins)
- Bottle Gourd – 1 small-medium (peeled and cut into small cubes)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – one large pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1.5 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp (you can also use oil)
- Water – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Lauki Chana Dal:
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida
- Add onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Cook till onions are light golden brown
- Add tomato paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Rinse soaked chana dal thoroughly and add it to the pressure cooker along with the bottle gourd, salt and water. Mix
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on a high flame, then turn the flame to low-medium and cook for 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down, open it and mix it to get that mushy look. Incase dal is not cooked you can pressure cook it again for another 2-3 whistles. You can also a little water if it’s too thick
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves, mix well. Your Lauki Chana Dal is ready. Serve hot.