Kaali Masoor Dal (Brown Lentil) recipe is healthy and nutritious. It is cooked with onions and tomatoes. It is goes perfect with any of your favorite breads like phulkas or parathas or just jeera rice.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Whole Brown Lentil (Sabut Kaali Masoor) – 1/2 cup (soaked for 30 mins)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 2 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a large pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Kaali Masoor Dal:
- Add rinsed dal to a pressure cooker. Add chopped onions, water, turmeric powder and salt. Mix and close the lid. Let first whistle blow on a high flame. Turn the flame to low-medium and cook for 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down. Open it (incase dal is not cooked you can pressure cook it again for another 2-3 whistles)
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add tomato paste, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add cooked dal to the pan. Add garam masala powder and mix. Cook for another 2-3 mins
- Your Kaali Masoor Dal is ready. Serve hot with rice or phulkas.