Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 45 mins.
- Brown Lentil (Kaali Masoor) – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tbsp
- Water – 2.5 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Kaali Masoor Dal:
- Soak dal for 20 mins, then rinse it thoroughly and add to a pressure cooker. Add onions, turmeric powder, water and salt. Mix and close the lid
- Let first whistle blow on a high flame, then turn the flame to low and cook for 20 mins
- Turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down open it and check if dal is cooked else cook for another 1-2 whistles
- Add garam masala powder and coriander powder. Mix
- Heat ghee in a ladle or a small pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add red chili powder and let it splutter for a few seconds
- Immediately pour the tempering on the dal and mix. Your Kaali Masoor Dal is ready. Serve hot with rice or phulkas.