Dum Aloo is one of the popular recipes from the northern side of India, there are quite a few variations to prepare it. Today I’ll be sharing the recipe for Shahi Dum Aloo, previously I had shared a recipe for Punjabi Dum Aloo.
To prepare it, we cook baby potatoes in tomato and yogurt based gravy, with quite a few spices. A must try!!!
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 30 mins
- Baby Potato – 15-16 (boiled, peeled and pricked with a toothpick or a fork)
- Tomato – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seed Powder – 3 tsp
- Cashew Powder – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Clove – 2 (crushed)
- Curd – 1/2 cup (beaten)
- Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML
How to make Shahi Dum Aloo:
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Turn flame to low (prevents masala from burning up). Add gram flour, fennel seed powder, crushed cloves, cashew powder, kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and kasuri methi. Saute for 1-2 mins, it’ll be aromatic
- Add tomatoes and turn flame to medium. Saute and cook till tomatoes are soft and oil starts to separate
- Add beaten curd. Mix and cook for 2-3 mins with continuous stirring. Oil will start separating
- Add boiled potatoes and salt. Mix and cook for 3-4 mins. Stirring occasionally
- Add water and bring it to boil. Cover and cook for around 15 mins on low-medium flame. Gravy will thicken. Keep stirring in between
- Add garam masala powder and mix. Your Shahi Dum Aloo is ready. Serve hot!!!