Punjabi Dum Aloo is a popular North Indian recipe. It is prepared with baby potatoes cooked in a rich onions and tomatoes based gravy. You can relish it with rice or your favorite bread.
Also try: Jeera Aloo.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 35 mins
- Baby Potatoes – 14-15 (boiled, peeled and pricked with a toothpick or a fork)
- Onion – 1 (roughly chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (roughly chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (roughly chopped)
- Tomatoes – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Fennel Seed Powder – 3 tsp
- Cashew Powder – 1 tbsp
- Curd (Dahi or Yogurt) – 1/4 cup (beaten)
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp (for the rich color)
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Fresh Cream – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste.
How to make Punjabi Dum Aloo:
- Take a blending jar. Add onions, garlic and ginger. Blend to make a fine paste. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai. Add the onion paste. Saute till golden brown
- Add tomato paste, kashmiri red chilli powder, fennel powder and cashew powder. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Add beaten curd. Mix. Cook for 2-3 mins with continuous stirring
- Add water and bring it to boil. Add potatoes, kasuri methi and salt. Cover and cook for 10 mins on low-medium flame
- Add fresh cream. Mix well. Cook for 1-2 mins
- Your Punjabi Dum Aloo is ready. Serve hot with Phulkas.