Pulao is full on flavors and absolutely mouth watering recipe of rice & vegetables, and the whole spices in it makes it irresistibly fragrant. It is an easy one pot recipe.
Also try: Indian Mexican Rice.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 35 mins.
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Potato – 1 small-medium (chopped)
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Cauliflower – 2/3 cup (roughly chopped) (optional)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (crushed)
- Tomato – 2 medium-large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida a large pinch
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Black Peppercorns – 6
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Pulao:
- Soak rice for 20 mins
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add black cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and black peppercorns. Saute until fragrant
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onion, green chili and garlic. Saute until light golden brown
- Add tomato paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Saute until ghee separates
- Add cauliflower, green peas, potatoes and garam masala powder. Mix and cook for a min
- Thoroughly rinse the soaked rice and add it to the cooker along with 2 cups of water and salt. Give it a gentle mix and close the lid
- Let two whistles blow on a medium-high flame, turn off the flame and do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down open the lid and your Pulao is ready. Enjoy with curd, raita, chutney or pickle.