On a lazy day I wanna make something quick yet delicious, Veg Pulao is always the best option. It is loaded with the vegetables and along with rice everything tastes so good, you can add veggies of your choice.
It tastes best when cooked in ghee (clarified butter). Try it and enjoy!!!
Also try: Indian Mexican Rice.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 35 mins
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup (soaked for 20 mins, then thoroughly rinsed)
- Cauliflower – 1/2 cup (coarsely cut)
- Potato – 1/2 cup (cut in cubes)
- Carrot – 1/2 cup (cut in rounds)
- Green Peas – 1/3 cup
- Onions – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (grated)
- Tomato – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (grated)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 4
- Black Pepper – 6
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 4 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Veg Pulao:
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add black cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and black pepper. Saute till fragrant
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onions and garlic. Saute will golden brown
- Add tomato paste, grated ginger and chopped green chilli. Saute
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add cauliflower, green peas, carrots and potatoes. Cook on medium flame for 2 mins
- Add rinsed rice, water and salt. Gently mix
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on a high flame. Then turn the flame to medium and let another whistle blow. Rice should be cooked by now, depends on the quality of rice so cook accordingly
- Turn off the flame. Do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down. Open the lid
- Your Veg Pulao is ready. Serve hot with your favorite raita, salad and papad.