Veg Pulao is a full on flavors and absolutely mouth watering recipe of rice and vegetables, and the whole spices in it makes it irresistibly fragrant. It is a one pot and easy to cook recipe.
It tastes best when cooked in ghee (clarified butter). Try it and enjoy!!!
Also try: Indian Mexican Rice.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 35 mins
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup (soaked for 20 mins, then thoroughly rinsed)
- Cauliflower – 1/2 cup (coarsely cut)
- Potato – 1/2 cup (cut in cubes)
- Carrot – 1/2 cup (cut in rounds)
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Onions – 1 large (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (grated)
- Tomato – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 3 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 4
- Black Peppercorns – 6
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 4 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Veg Pulao:
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add black cardamom, bay leaf, cloves and black peppercorns. Saute till fragrant
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Let it splutter
- Add onions and garlic. Saute will golden brown
- Add tomato paste, chopped green chilli, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add cauliflower, green peas, carrots and potatoes. Cook on medium flame for about 2 mins
- Add rinsed rice, water and salt. Gently mix and close the lid. Turn the flame to medium-high and cook until two whistles. Rice should be cooked by now, depends on the quality of rice so cook accordingly
- Turn off the flame. Do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down. Open the lid
- Your Veg Pulao is ready. Serve hot with your favorite raita, salad or papad.