Spinach is such a nutritious green vegetable, I love using it in many of my recipes. Aloo Palak is a dry dish prepared with potatoes, spinach, onions, tomatoes and a few spices.
Also try: Aloo Pyaaz.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Palak (Spinach) – 150 grams (cleaned and chopped)
- Potato – 2 medium-large (peeled and chopped into small cubes)
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium-large (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp (you can use any other oil as well)
- Salt to taste.
How to make Aloo Palak:
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai or a pan. Let it smoke for a minute. Then turn the flame to medium and add a pinch of salt, it helps in removing the mustard oil aroma
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add onions and green chillies. Cook till onions are translucent
- Add potatoes, coriander powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix
- Cover and cook on low flame till potatoes are 90% cooked. Stir occasionally
- Add chopped palak and tomatoes. Mix
- Cover and cook for 4-5 mins on low flame. Potatoes will also be completely cooked by then
- Uncover and cook for 2-3 mins on medium-high flame so that excess water from palak is absorbed
- Add garam masala powder. Mix well
- Your Aloo Palak is ready. Serve hot with phulkas or parathas.