Bottle Gourd is a nutritious vegetable packed with minerals and vitamins. Whenever you need to detox your body after too much outside food or would love to go for a simple light meal then Lauki Sabji i.e. Bottle Gourd Curry is the solution for you. The recipe for this curry calls for the regular ingredients available in your kitchen. Sometimes I add a small potato while preparing it and that’s totally optional.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Bottle Gourd (Lauki) – 1 medium (peeled and cut into cubes)
- Potato – 1 small (peeled and cut into cubes) (optional)
- Tomato – 1 large or 2 medium (roughly chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1-2 (roughly chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a large pinch
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp (you can use oil as well)
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Salt to sate.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Lauki Sabji:
- Take a blending jar. Add tomatoes and green chillies. Blend to a smooth paste. Keep aside
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Let it splutter
- Add tomato-green chilli paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder (optional). Mix and cook till ghee starts to separate
- Add bottle gourd, potatoes (optional), salt and water. Mix and close the lid
- Let the first whistle blow on a high flame then turn the flame to low and cook for another 2-3 whistles. Turn off the flame
- Do not release the pressure. Once it settles down open the lid. Mash it a little with a spoon to get that mushy look
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix and your Lauki Sabji is ready, serve hot!!!