Bhindi (Okra) Masala is a comfort food. It is simple to make and can be enjoyed with phulkas or dal-rice. It is a quick-fix recipe as well.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins
- Bhindi (Okra) – 2 cups (chopped)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur) – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a large pinch
- Ajwain – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp (you can use any other oil as well)
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Bhindi Masala:
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai or a pan. Let it smoke for a minute. Then turn the flame to medium and add a pinch of salt, it helps in removing the mustard oil smell
- Add ajwain and let it splutter
- Add onions and asafoetida. Saute till onions are golden brown
- Add bhindi, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix well
- Cover and cook on low flame till soft, around 15-20 mins. Keep sauteing in between
- Add dry mango powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well and cook for 1-2 mins without covering
- Your Bhindi Masala is ready to serve. Serve hot with Phulkas or Parathas.