Kofta curries are quite popular Indian food. To prepare Lauki Kofta, we make balls out of lauki (bottle gourd) and gram flour, then deep-fry them and finally submerge them into the onion-tomato based gravy. Relish it with rice or phulkas.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 45 mins.
- Grated Lauki (Bottle Gourd) – 1 cup (grated)
- Besan (Gram Flour) – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 3 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chillies – 2 (blend along with tomatoes) + 1 (finely chopped)
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chill Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – 4 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil – 3 tbsp + for deep-frying the kofta balls
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Lauki Kofta:
- Take a mixing bowl. Add grated bottle gourd, green chillies, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, gram flour, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder and salt. Mix well and a make a smooth paste
- Heat oil in a deep pan or a kadai. Drop the paste with the help of a spoon in the oil, deep fry from all the sides until golden brown. Drain them on a kitchen paper towel. Keep aside the koftas
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan or a kadai. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till aromatic. Add onion paste and cook till golden brown
- Add tomato-green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook till oil starts to separate
- Add 3 cups of water and salt, bring it to boil and cook for 1-2 mins
- Add koftas, garam masala powder and cream. Mix and cook for 2-3 mins
- Finally add remaining coriander leave and mix. Your Lauki Kofta is ready.