This recipe comes from my Mom’s kitchen. Chana Gravy is healthy and delicious dish, mostly enjoyed with Jeera Rice. This recipe is similar, but has potatoes which makes it thick and can be relished with parathas or phulkas.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 40 mins, Total – 50 mins.
- Black Chickpeas (Kale Chane) – 1/2 cup (soaked over night)
- Potato – 1 large (peeled and chopped in cubes)
- Onion – 1 medium (blend to a smooth paste)
- Tomato – 2 large (blend to a smooth paste)
- Green Chilli – 2 (blend along with tomatoes)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Coriander Leaves – to garnish
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Aloo Chane Gravy:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add ginger garlic paste. Saute for a few seconds. Add onion paste. Cook till golden brown
- Add tomatoes-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and chana masala powder. Mix and cook till oil starts to separate
- Add chane, potatoes, salt and water. Mix well
- Close the lid and let first whistle blow on a high flame. Then turn the flame to low and cook for 30 mins (do not worry on the whistles)
- Turn off the flame. Do not release the pressure. Once pressure settles down. Open the lid and stir
- Add garam masala powder and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Your Aloo Chane Gravy is ready. Serve hot with phulkas or parathas.