Sama Rice Pulao is another popular saatvik recipe. To prepare this you’ll need sama rice (barnyard millet), tomatoes, green chillies, cumin seeds and ghee (clarified butter). This is a one pot recipe and sama rice is gluten free. Enjoy this pulao with plain yogurt or Cucumber Tomato Raita.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 mins, Cooking – 25 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Sama Rice (Barnyard Millet) – 1 cup (soak for 10-15 mins)
- Tomato – 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (grated)
- Green Chilli – 2 (finely chopped)
- Black Peppercorns – 4
- Cloves – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tbsp
- Water – 4 cups
- Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Sama Rice Pulao:
- Thoroughly rinse the socked rice and keep aside
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add black peppercorns and cloves. Let them splutter
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add ginger and green chilli. Saute till aromatic
- Add tomatoes and coriander powder. Mix and saute till ghee starts to separate
- Add rice, rock salt and water. Mix and close lid. Turn the flame to high and cook for 3-4 whistles. Turn off the flame
- Once pressure settles down open the lid and your Sama Rice Pulao is ready. Serve hot with curd (yogurt) or raita.