Mathri is a famous Indian tea-time savory snack. It’s crispy, crunchy and this recipe makes it healthy too. A must try recipe and enjoy it without any guilt.
Regular mathris are prepared with all-purpose flour and then deep-fried, in this recipe instead we use whole wheat flour along with gram flour and we bake them.
Time: Preparation – 25 mins, Baking – 20 mins, Total – 45 mins
Servings: makes around 20 mathris.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 3/4 cup
- Gram Flour (Besan) – 1/4 cup
- Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 tbsp
- Black Peppercorns – 1/2 tsp (crushed)
- Oil – 2 tbsp + 2 tsp (40ML)
- Carrom Seeds (Ajwain) – 1/2 tsp
- Water – to knead the dough, around 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Healthy Mathri:
- Take a mixing bowl. Add wheat flour, gram flour, kasuri methi, crushed black peppercorns, carrom seeds, oil and salt. Mix with your fingers, it’ll be crumbly
- Now add water little by little and start kneading the dough. Make a smooth and firm dough. Cover and keep aside for 20 mins
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal parts. Take one portion and roll it using a rolling-pin, around 1/4 inch thickness
- Prick the mathri with a fork so that it doesn’t puff . Similarly do the rest
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F or 180 C. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the mathris and bake them for 20-22 mins, flip once half way through
- Your Mathris are ready. Let them cool down and store in an airtight container. Enjoy with tea!!!