Chilli Paneer is a popular Indo-Chinese dish, usually relished with Fried Rice or noodles or even as a starter. It can be prepared in two ways i.e. dry as a starter or gravy as a main course, this recipe is for making it in a gravy. To make this we fry paneer cubes (Indian cottage cheese) dipped in the batter made with corn starch and all-purpose flour, then make a gravy with veggies and add these fried paneer cubes to it.
You can also replace paneer with tofu.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 200 grams (cut into cubes)
- Onion – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Bell Peppers – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 2 (slit)
- Spring Onion Greens of 2 sprigs
- Corn Flour (or Corn Starch) -3 tbsp
- All-Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Rice Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1 + 1/4 cup
- Oil – 3 tbsp + for frying the paneer cubes
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Chilli Paneer Gravy:
- Take a small mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp corn flour, 2 tbsp all-purpose flour and salt, mix. Add 1/4 cup water and mix to make a slurry. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan to deep-fry or pan-fry the paneer cubes. Dip the paneer cubes into the slurry and drop it in the hot oil, fry on high-flame from all the sides till light-golden. Take them out and place on a kitchen paper towel, keep aside
- Now heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add ginger and garlic, saute till aromatic
- Add green chillies, onions, capsicum and bell peppers. Saute on high flame for 3-4 mins
- Add soy sauce, red chilli flakes, ground black pepper and salt. Saute for a few more seconds
- Add 1 cup water and bring it to boil. In parallel mix 1 tbsp of corn flour with 3 tbsp of water to make a smooth paste, there should be no lumps. Add this paste to the pan and mix
- Cook on medium flame until gravy thickens about 1-2 mins. Add paneer cubes and rice vinegar, mix well
- Finally add spring onions greens and mix. Your Chilli Paneer Gravy is ready. Enjoy with noodles or fried rice.