Chilli Paneer is a popular Indo-Chinese dish, usually relished with Fried Rice or noodles or even as a starter. It can be prepared in two ways i.e. dry as a starter or gravy as a main course, this recipe is for making it in a gravy. To make this we fry paneer cubes (Indian cottage cheese) dipped in the batter made with corn starch and all-purpose flour, then make a gravy with veggies and add these fried paneer cubes to it.
Tip: You can replace paneer with tofu.
Also try: Fried Rice, Black Pepper Noodles or Indo-Chinese Potato Bites.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 30 mins.
- Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) – 200 grams (cut into cubes)
- Corn Flour – 3 tbsp
- All-Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Ground Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Flakes – 1/4 tsp
- Spring Onion Greens – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (slit)
- Onion – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Bell Pepper – 1/2 cup (cut into cubes)
- Dark Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Water – 1 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp + for frying the paneer cubes
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Chilli Paneer Gravy:
- Take a mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp corn flour, 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper & salt. Mix and add 1/4 cup water in portions to a smooth batter. Add paneer cubes and coat well in the batter
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai or a pan to deep fry the paneer. Once oil is hot drop the paneer cubes and fry from all the sides until light golden brown. Drain on a kitchen paper towel, keep aside
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add ginger, garlic and green chilli. Saute until aromatic
- Add onion, capsicum and bell pepper. Saute for 2-3 mins on a high flame
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, chilli flakes, ground black pepper and salt. Mix and cook for a few seconds
- Add 1 cup water and bring it to a boil, meanwhile make a slurry by mixing 1 tbsp corn flour in 1/4 cup water. Add this slurry to the pan and cook until gravy thickens
- Add paneer cubes and spring onion greens, mix. Your Chilli Paneer Gravy is ready.