I would say it’s a late post as this dessert is generally enjoyed during the fast or navratri. Sama or Samak or Samvat or Vrat Rice is usually used to make dessert or pulao on the day of fasting. This time I am sharing the recipe of kheer and this is equally luscious as traditional rice kheer. An easy recipe.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 5 Mins, Cooking – 35 Mins, Total – 40 Mins
- Whole Milk – 1 Litre
- Sama Rice – 3 tbsp (soaked for 15 mins)
- Sugar – 1/3 cup or as required
- Almonds – 8 (crushed or chopped)
- Cashews – 8 (crushed or chopped)
- Raisins – 1/4 Cup (soaked for 15 mins)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Sama Rice Kheer:
- Heat milk in a thick bottom pan and bring it to boil
- Turn the flame to low. Rinse the soaked rice and add it to the milk. Stir
- Cook on low flame till it thickens and rice is cooked, stir occasionally. Takes about 20-25 mins. Remember to keep scraping the dried milk from the sides of the pan and add it back to the pan
- Add almonds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix and cook for another 5-10 mins
- Turn off the flame. Add sugar and mix well
- Your Sama Rice Kheer is ready to be served. Serve hot or cold
- Top it with crushed nuts while serving.