Happy Independence Day to all the Indians out there!!! Wanted to share something healthy today, and here we go with the Carrot Muffins. These are super healthy and delicious. Perfect for the sweet tooth and guilt free. A must try recipe.
I have used whole wheat flour and ground rolled oats in the mix, you can use only whole wheat flour if desired.
Also I added only 1/3 cup of maple syrup as I got sweet carrots and then there are raisins too. You can add 1/2 cup if you like.
To make it egg less: 1 egg = 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. Let it rest for 5 mins before adding.
Course: Breakfast or Dessert
Cuisine: Global Cuisine
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Baking – 20 mins, Total – 35 mins
Servings: makes 12 muffins
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup + 1 tsp for tossing the raisins
- Ground Rolled Oats – 3/4 cup (you can also use whole wheat flour)
- Carrot – 2 cups (grated)
- Plain Greek Yogurt – 1 cup (you can use non fat greek yogurt as well)
- Eggs – 2 (large)
- Maple Syrup (or Honey or Agave) – 1/3 cup (you can add 1/2 cup if desired)
- Olive Oil – 1/3 cup (you can use coconut oil as well)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg – 1/4 tsp
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup + to sprinkle on the top
- Raisins – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Raw Sugar – 1 tbsp (to sprinkle on the top).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Carrot Muffins:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit or 190 degrees celsius
- Grease all 12 cups on your muffin pan or tray. Keep aside
- In a small bowl, toss the raisins with the 1 teaspoon flour. This helps prevent raisins from sticking together. Keep aside
- Take a mixing bowl. Add whole wheat flour, ground rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix them with a whisk. Keep aside the flour mix
- In another big mixing bowl, add oil and maple syrup. Beat them up together with a whisk
- Add the eggs and beat very well
- Add the yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix well
- If you’re using coconut oil and it solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, warm it up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave
- Add grated carrots and mix
- Now add flour mix to the wet ingredients. Stir with a spoon and mix until all ingredients are combined
- Gently fold the chopped walnuts and floured raisins. Stir to combine
- Divide and add the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups
- Sprinkle raw sugar and walnuts on the top of the muffins
- Bake the muffins for 16 to 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean
- Let the muffins cool down in the tray for 5-10 minutes. You can even loosen up the sides of the muffins with a butter knife if needed. Then take them out and cool down for another 10-15 mins
- Your Carrot Muffins are ready. You can refrigerate them for up to 5 days.