Oatmeal Spice muffins are moist, fluffy and perfectly spiced. It is loaded with the flavor of cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg. You can also add almonds to have the additional tang. Recipe is easy and quick.
I have used 1 cup rolled oats as is for the recipe. You can also grind 1/2 cup to powder and use 1/2 cup as is; or grind entire 1 cup to powder. Use your oats the way you like it.
Course: Breakfast or Dessert
Cuisine: Global Cuisine
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Baking – 20 mins, Total – 35 mins
Servings: makes 12 muffins
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Plain Greek Yogurt – 1 cup (you can use non fat greek yogurt as well)
- Cinnamon – 2 tsp + to sprinkle on top
- Nutmeg – 1/2 tsp
- Eggs – 2 (large)
- Honey or Maple Syrup – 1/2 cup
- Olive Oil – 1/3 cup (you can use coconut oil as well)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Almonds – 1/4 to 1/3 cup (chopped) (optional)
- Raw Sugar – 1 tbsp (to sprinkle on the top).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
To make it egg less: 1 egg = 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp water. Let it rest for 5 mins before adding.
How to make Oatmeal Spice Muffins:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or 180 degrees celsius
- Grease all 12 cups on your muffin pan or tray. Keep aside
- Take a big mixing bowl. Add whole wheat flour, rolled oats (1 cup as is or 1 cup powdered or both in equal quantities i.e. 1/2 cup each), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix them with a whisk. Keep aside the flour mix
- In another bowl, add oil and honey (or maple syrup). Beat them up together with a whisk
- Add the eggs and beat very well
- Add the yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix well
- If you’re using coconut oil and it solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, warm it up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave
- Now pour the wet ingredients into the flour mix. Stir with a spoon and mix until all ingredients are combined
- Gently fold the almonds into the batter. The batter will be thick
- Divide and add the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups
- Sprinkle raw sugar and cinnamon on the top of the muffins
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean
- Let the muffins cool down in the tray for 5-10 minutes. You can even loosen up the sides of the muffins with a butter knife if needed. Then take them out and cool down for another 10-15 mins
- Your Oatmeal Spice Muffins are ready. They’ll remain good for 2 days on the shelf and 5 days in refrigerator.