Pesto is my new love. I have tried a variety of pastas with it like Pesto Pasta, Pesto Pasta with Grape Tomatoes and Peppers and Onions Pesto Pasta, now is the turn for Pizza. Thin Crust Pesto Pizza recipe is a simple and a quick one. It is done in minutes when you have the dough and Pesto Sauce ready.
The dough measurements in this recipe are for two thin crust 12-14 inch pizzas. You can prepare the entire dough, use half of it and refrigerate the remaining for later use.
I had prepared the Pesto Sauce in advance. You can do the same or prepare while the dough is resting, as it’s just a matter of minutes.
Course: Main Course
Time: Preparation – 2 hours 5 mins, Baking – 10 mins, Total – 2 hours 15 mins
Servings: Makes a 12-14 inch thin crust pizza (using half of the dough)
- Whole Wheat Flour – 2 1/2 cups
- Active Dry Yeast – 2 1/4 tsp
- Warm Water – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp or to taste
- Pesto Sauce – 3-4 tbsp (recipe here)
- Tomato – 1 (cut crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – 1/2 cup or as desired
- Red Chilli Flakes – to sprinkle on the top
- Ground Black Pepper – to sprinkle on the top.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Pesto Pizza:
- Take a small bowl. Add yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar. Mix and let sit for 5 mins
- In a large mixing bowl. Add 2 1/4 cup flour, salt and 1 tsp sugar. Mix and make a well in the center. Add yeast mixture and olive oil. Start mixing with your hand or a wooden spoon and add 3/4 cup water in portions. Mix until the dough comes together
- Now knead the dough with your hand or in a stand mixer. While kneading start adding remaining 1/4 cup flour in portions until the dough is non sticky. It’ll take around 2-3 mins (you may not need to add the full 1/4 cup so add in portions)
- Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl and then grease it from the top. Cover it with a plastic wrap
- Let it rise at room temperature until doubled, around 1 hour (not more than 2 hours)
- Take the dough and punch it down a bit. Place it on a lightly floured surface and shape the dough into a ball
- Divide the dough into two equal size balls. Use one portion for the pizza, wrap the other in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for later use
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit or 235 degree celsius
- Take the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and roll it with a rolling-pin till you get the desired crust thickness. Place it on a well-greased pizza pan, pizza stone or baking sheet. Brush the outer 1-inch of the dough with a light coating of olive oil
- Spread pesto sauce. Place tomatoes slices and sprinkle cheese (as desired)
- Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, takes around 10-12 mins
- Your Thin Crust Pesto Pizza is ready. Let it rest for about 2-3 mins before slicing. Sprinkle some red chilli flakes or ground black pepper and serve.