Happy Lohri and Happy Makar Sankranti 2021!!! Complete favorite of the season, Peanut Gajak or Peanut Chikki. An easy recipe with minimal ingredients, it’s perfectly crunchy and flavorsome.
- If possible use skinned peanuts to avoid the hassle of peeling off the skin after roasting the peanuts
- Use jaggery powder instead of jaggery as it dissolves quickly
- At the step of mixing the peanuts then rolling it, be very quick about it. As once it’s hard, it’ll be difficult to cut or roll
- You can also add other nuts if desired.
Course: Dessert or Snacks.
Time: Preparation – 10 mins, Cooking – 20 mins, Total – 30 mins.
Servings: makes 12-14 medium size pieces.
- Peanuts – 1 cup
- Jaggery Powder – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1 tbsp
- Fennel Seeds to sprinkle on top.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Peanut Gajak:
- Heat a pan and add peanuts. Dry roast on low flame for about 10 mins, stirring continuously
- Remove from pan and let them cool down. If you’ve used peanuts with skin then remove the skin by rubbing once it’s warm and easy to handle, keep aside
- Heat a pan, add jaggery powder and water. Mix and stir on low flame until jaggery powder melts completely. Keep cooking on low flame until it comes to a boil, then cook for about 5 mins while stirring continuously. Syrup will slightly thicken
- Check the consistency at this stage. Drop a few drops of syrup in a bowl of cold water, after a few secs remove it from the water and check if it has become brittle else boil for another min then check again. Repeat if necessary
- Once syrup is ready, remove it from the flame and add the roasted peanuts. Quickly mix to coat the peanuts nicely in the syrup
- Immediately transfer it to a tray or a cutting board lined with parchment paper, quickly sprinkle fennel seeds and place another parchment paper on the top. Roll it with a rolling pin to level it and make it as thin as possible. You can do the same thing on a greased surface and flatten the mix with a greased cup or bowl. Cut it while its warm then let it cool down completely. You have to be really quick at this step
- Your Peanut Gajak is ready, store in an air-tight container.