The classic and most famous Indian dessert, Gulab Jamun!!! Almost each and every Indian restaurant always have it on their dessert menu. These are soft milk balls soaked in sugar syrup, each bite simply dissolves in the mouth and makes you want for more…
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Cooking – 30 mins, Soaking – 3 hours, Total – 3 hours 45 mins.
Servings: makes around 14-15 gulab jamuns.
- Milk Powder – 1 cup
- All-Purpose Flour (Maida) – 4 tbsp
- Whole Milk – 4-6 tbsp
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 1 tbsp
- Baking Soda – a pinch or 1/8 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Green Cardamom – 5 pods
- Saffron – 5-6 threads
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
- Oil for deep frying the gulab jamuns.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Gulab Jamun:
- Add water, sugar, cardamom, saffron and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Bring it to boil then heat over medium flame for about 10-12 mins or until it becomes sticky, stirring occasionally. Turn off the flame, sugar syrup is ready
- Now take a mixing bowl. Add milk powder, all-purpose flour, ghee and baking soda. Mix with your hand, it’ll be a little crumbly. Now add 4 tbsp of milk and gently mix to make a soft dough, do not over do it. Add more milk if it’s too dry
- Grease your palms and divide the dough into 14-15 small crack-free balls, you can even go for a smaller size. The size increases on frying and soaking
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Drop a small portion of the dough to check the oil, if it comes up immediately then oil is hot and ready. Now carefully drop the balls and fry evenly on low-medium flame until golden brown then drain them on a kitchen paper towel. Do not over crowd the balls in the pan while frying, do it in portions
- Reheat the sugar syrup for a 2-3 mins and turn off the flame. Now drop the fried balls in it and soak it for at least 3-4 hours before serving
- Your Gulab Jamuns are ready. Enjoy!!!
- Do not knead the dough, only mix it gently
- While making the balls if crack appears it means the mixture is too dry, add a tsp or more of milk and gently mix again
- You can also add 1 tsp of rose water to the sugar syrup.