The classic Indian dessert, Gajar Ka Halwa!!! My blog has been missing it and its high time I post it. Gajar ka halwa or carrot pudding is a perfect winter delight, on a cold winter day enjoy this warm halwa.
It is prepared by cooking grated carrots in whole milk. The sweetness of carrots enhances as it slowly cooks in the milk . The final touching is the dry fruits topping.
You can also add khoya or mawa (reduced whole dry milk) towards the end, though I skipped it.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 20 mins, Cooking – 1 hour 10 mins, Total – 1.5 hours
- Carrots – 1 kg (washed, peeled and grated)
- Whole Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 4 tbsp
- Almonds – 8 (crushed or chopped)
- Cashews – 8 (crushed or chopped)
- Pistachios – 12 (crushed or chopped)
- Cardamom – 6 (crushed or powdered and skin removed).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Gajar ka Halwa:
- Take a heavy bottom pan or kadai. Add milk and bring it to boil
- Add grated carrots and mix. Turn the flame to low and cook till milk is completely absorbed. Takes about an hour. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning up
- Add sugar. Mix and cook till sugar moisture is completely absorbed. Sugar will release a lot of moisture
- Add ghee, almonds, cashews, pistachios and cardamom. Mix and cook for another 4-5 mins. Keep stirring
- Your Gajar Ka Halwa is ready. Serve hot and enjoy!!!