Phirni is another popular Indian dessert, it is similar to Rice Kheer in preparation but has a different texture and flavor. It is a creamy rice based pudding which is always relished when chilled.
Time: Preparation – 25 Mins, Cooking – 35 Mins, Total – 1 hour.
- Whole Milk – 1 Litre
- Basmati Rice – 3 tbsp (soaked for 20 mins)
- Sugar – 1/4 Cup
- Saffron Threads – 1 large pinch
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pistachios – to garnish (crushed).
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Phirni:
- Take soaked rice and rinse thoroughly. Drain the water. Transfer it to a grinding jar. Grind to a coarse powder. Keep aside
- Heat milk in a thick bottom pan and bring it to boil. Turn the flame to low
- Take the coarse rice powder in a bowl and add 2-3 spoons of warm milk. Make a paste
- When milk starts to thicken. Add the rice paste slowly and stir well for about 5 mins, as lumps might get formed
- Cook on low flame till it starts to thicken and rice is cooked, stir occasionally.
- Add saffron threads and mix. Cook till it thickens
- Turn off the flame. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well
- Your Phirni is ready. Chill it before serving as it tastes best when chilled.
- Top it with some crushed pistachios while serving.