Phirni is another popular Indian dessert, it is a bit similar to Rice Kheer in preparation but has a different texture and flavor. It is a creamy rice based pudding which is always relished when chilled.
Time: Preparation – 5 Mins, Cooking – 30 Mins, Total – 35 mins.
- Whole Milk – 1 Litre
- Rice – 1/4 cup (soaked for 20 mins)
- Sugar – 1/3 Cup
- Saffron Threads – a large pinch
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Crushed Pistachios for garnishing.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Phirni:
- Take soaked rice and rinse thoroughly, drain all the water. Transfer it to a grinding jar along with 1/2 cup milk. Grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside
- Heat remaining milk in a thick bottom pan and bring it to boil. Turn the flame to low and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally
- Now slowly add the rice-milk paste in portions with continuous stirring, so that no lumps are formed. Mix well
- Cook on low flame till it starts to thicken and rice is cooked, stir occasionally
- Add saffron threads and mix. Cook till it thickens
- Turn off the flame, add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well
- Your Phirni is ready. Let it cool down then chill it. Top it with some crushed pistachios while serving.