Achaari Paneer Tikka is a tangy, spicy and mouth watering Indian vegetarian starter. Paneer Tikkas can be prepared in many ways with different flavors. This recipe is for paneer tikka with pickling spices. We marinade the paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in curd and pickle spices, and then pan fry, grill or roast them.
Cuisine: North Indian
Time: Preparation – 15 mins, Marination – 2 hours, Cooking – 15 mins, Total – 2.5 hours
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 200 grams (cut into 1 to 1.5 inch cubes)
- Hung Curd (or plain greek yogurt) – 1/2 cup
- Gram Flour – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium (cut into around 1 inch cubes)
- Bell Peppers – 1/2 cup (cut into around 1 inch cubes)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Yellow Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Black Cumin Seeds (Kalonji) – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Oil –1 tbsp
- Oil – to pan fry or roast the tikkas
- Salt to taste.
PS: 1 Cup = 250 ML.
How to make Paneer Tikka:
- Heat a pan. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and yellow mustard seeds. Dry roast till fragrant. Do not over roast them. Turn off the flame and let it cool down. Now grind them to make a coarse powder. Keep aside the pickle powder
- Take mixing big bowl. Add hung curd, mustard oil, ginger garlic paste, gram flour, pickle powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black salt, lemon juice and salt. Mix well
- Add paneer, onion and bell peppers. Gently mix with your hand or with a spoon. They should be well coated in the marinade
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for up to 2 hours
- Now take the paneer, onion and bell peppers in any order on a skewer
- Heat a grill pan or tawa. Pour a few drops of oil and place the skewer, cook from all the sides till golden brown and crisp
- Your Achaari Paneer Tikka is ready. Serve hot with Chutney.